Lucas Thomasson (1868-1898)
1898 Obituary 
Lucas THOMASSON was born at Bolton on 21st February 1868, and received his school education first at the International College, Isleworth, and afterwards at Trinity College, Stratford-on-Avon.
On leaving school he entered the cotton mills of his father, Mr. John P. Thornasson, in Bolton; and at the same time attended a three years' course 1885-8 of mechanical and geometrical drawing at Owens College, Manchester, and the first three months of the course under Professor Reynolds in the engineering laboratory, from its opening on 1st March 1888.
During 1888 and 1889 he acted as manager at his father's mills, continuing the study of engineering with occasional assistance from Professor Stuart, and receiving tuition in mathematics from Mr. F. T. Swanwick of Owens College.
With a view to adopting engineering as a profession, he left the cotton mills at the end of 1889, and in 1890 attended the Central Institution of the City and Guilds of London Institute for the third year's engineering course under Professor Unwin.
In the latter half of 1891 he served in the machine and fitting shops of Messrs. Yarrow and Co., Poplar, but had to leave in consequence of his health breaking down.
In 1893 he refitted and reorganised the repairing shop in his father's cotton factory; and afterwards continued to be occupied in mechanical engineering, as far as ill health would allow.
His death took place at Hawkshead House, near Hatfield, on 3rd October 1898, at the age of thirty.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1893.
1899 Obituary 
After studying at Owens College, Manchester, he was engaged during 1888 and 1889 in his father's cotton mills, and in extending, by private reading and tuition, his knowledge of the theory of engineering.
In 1890 he took the third year's course in engineering under Professor Unwin at the Central Institution of the City and Guilds of London Institute, and in 1891 he entered the works of Yarrow and Co at Poplar. While there his health broke down, and he had to give up work for a time.
In 1893 he was able to carry out the refitting and re-organization of the repairing shop at Messrs. Thomasson and Son's factory, and to superintend the introduction of various machinery, but owing to continued ill-health he was from that time not in a position to undertake regular work. He died on the 3rd October, 1898, at Hawkshead House, Hatfield. Mr. Thomasson was elected an Associate Member on the 2nd May, 1893.