Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,425 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Eastwood (1864-1941)
1941 Obituary 
WILLIAM EASTWOOD was born in 1864 and served his apprenticeship from 1880 to 1885 in the shops and drawing office of Messrs. Pollit and Wigzell, engineers and millwrights, at Sowerby Bridge. He remained with that firm as a draughtsman until 1889, when he entered the drawing office of Messrs. Greenwood and Batley, Ltd., at Leeds. He remained with the firm for two years.
In 1890 he went into partnership in a firm which he established in conjunction with other engineers in Bradford, under the style of Smith Brothers and Eastwood, and was associated with the firm for twelve years. After holding appointments as leading draughtsman to Messrs. Yates and Thom, Ltd., of Blackburn, and to Messrs. Stevenson, Ltd., in Preston, he was employed by Messrs. Newton, Bean and Mitchell, Ltd., in their works at Dudley Hill, near Bradford, as chief draughtsman and designer, from 1906 until his retirement in 1928.
During the war of 1914-18, he served under Captain Riall Sankey in the office of the Ministry of Munitions. Mr. Eastwood was elected a Member of the Institution in 1904, and was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He invented many improvements in connection with air pumps, piston drop valves, uniflow engines, and governors. His death occurred at Morecambe, Lancs, on 10th January 1941.