Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,370 pages of information and 230,037 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
10. CAMLACHIE FOUNDRY
As Camlachie (east of Glasgow) was favourably situated for the economical supply of the coal, iron, and labour required for Napier's projected business, and the engineering works of his father-in-law and of Duncan McArthur and Co (the latter engaged in marine work) being there, it may be assumed that these considerations would distinctly influence his choice of this locality for the new factory. The works were erected in 1814-15, and were known as "Camlachie Foundry." The designation of the firm continued for a short time to be "John Napier & Sons, Cast-Iron Founders," but the business was solely in David's hands. His first marine engine, for the steamboat Marion, was completed early in 1816. He remained at Camlachie about seven years, but the engineering business increasing he removed to the new and more commodious works which he had erected at Lancefield. Camlachie Foundry was next occupied, and latterly purchased, by Robert Napier (Note 20), and ultimately passed into the management of his brother David as a foundry only.