Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Joseph Henry Quicke (1880-1940)
1940 Obituary 
JOSEPH HENRY QUICKE was born in 1880, and received his technical education at the West Ham Institute, and the Regent Street Polytechnic. He served his apprenticeship from 1895 to 1902 with Messrs. Hunter and English of Bow, E. After serving as draughtsman and mechanical engineering assistant to Messrs. J. Baker and Sons, Willesden, and to the mains superintendent of the County of London Electric Supply Company, he was in 1905. appointed to the electricity department of the Leyton Urban District Council as chief draughtsman and assistant engineer, a position he held until 1917. In October of that year, he became assistant to the works manager of Messrs. Henry Hughes and Sons, of Hainault, Essex, for a period of six years, during which he was responsible for the reorganization of the works for a peace-time production of pumps, confectionery machinery, and other light engineering work.
From 1923 to 1925 he was partner with his uncle, Mr. C. F. Quicke, of Euston Road, London, a consulting engineer. In 1925 he became engineer and manager to the Madeira Supply Company, Ltd., of Funchal, and was responsible for the whole of the works and constructional engineering section. This firm, owned by Messrs. Leacock and Company, and the shipbuilding and repair yard in Madeira, known as the Arsenal, owned by Messrs. Blandy Bros., and Company, were amalgamated in. January 1931 under the title of The Madeira Engineering Company, Ltd. Mr. Quicke was appointed general manager and directed the erection of the whole of the plant and machinery on one site he also built the wireless transmitting station for the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company, constructed large fuel oil tanks, and was responsible for the manufacture of the first steam boiler in Madeira.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1918, and was transferred to Membership in 1931. His death occurred at Funchal on 31st January 1940.