Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,432 pages of information and 211,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Howard (1875-1940)
1940 Obituary 
JOHN HOWARD, who had a varied and extensive career in engineering, was born in Scotstoun, Glasgow, in 1875. He was educated at the Higher Grade School, Barrow-in-Furness, winning the George Moore Scholarship, and served his apprenticeship with the Naval Construction and Armaments Company (now known as Messrs. Vickers, Ltd.) from 1890 to 1896. After his apprenticeship he joined Messrs. Doxford and Sons, of Sunderland, where he specialized in the design and erection of engines for torpedo-boat destroyers.
He was employed by Messrs. Workman, Clark and Company, Ltd., of Belfast, as an engine draughtsman, from 1897 to 1898, when he went to Messrs. Vickers, Sons and Maxim, Newcastle upon Tyne; and was engaged on the evaporation and combustion trials of the early types of Blechynden and Belleville water-tube boilers. During 1900 and 1901 he was second draughtsman for Messrs. Scott and Company, of Greenock, where he designed the machinery for H.M.S. Prince of Wales.
He was subsequently leading draughtsman in the engine works of Messrs. William Denny Bros., Ltd., of Dumbarton, for a year. In 1902 he secured an appointment as assistant superintending engineer to the Rivers Steam Navigation Company, Calcutta, where he supervised the construction of many river steam vessels, and of hulls and machinery of various descriptions, and the running and maintenance of a fleet of coastal and river vessels and barges on the Hooghly river.
He was promoted to be superintendent in 1908 and returned to England in 1916, when he joined the United States Metallic Packing Company, Ltd., in their London office, being transferred to the Liverpool office in 1917 to take charge.
Mr. Howard was elected a Member of the Institution in 1911. His death occurred on the 30th March 1940.