Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,077 pages of information and 231,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Clark and Standfield

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1882. Hydraulic ship lifting dock.
1939. Furness Shipbuilding Co Contractors.
1939. Furness Shipbuilding Co Contractors.

of Westminster, Engineers.

1874 Josiah Latimer Clark entered into partnership with John Standfield, who had acted as Resident Engineer on Edwin Clark’s hydraulic lift graving-dock at Hog Island, Bombay.

Messrs. Clark and Standfield devoted themselves particularly to the study and improvement of floating-docks and hydraulic canal-lifts, and invented several novelties in connection with that branch of engineering. The most important of those inventions were :-

  • the gridiron depositing docks constructed for the Russian Government at Nicolaieff, on the Black Sea, and at Vladivostok
  • a gridiron depositing-dock at Barrow-in-Furness
  • hydraulic canal-lifts at Les Fontinettes, near St. Omer, in France, and at La Louviere, Belgium
  • an 'off-shore dock,' the first of which was built at Messrs. Clark and Standfield's works at Grays, Essex, and was launched and towed to Cardiff in 1887.

An account of the Nicolaieff Dock was presented by Mr. Clark to the Institution of Naval Architects in 1876.

Further examples of floating docks constructed by Messrs. Clark and Standfield include those at Hamburg and North Shields, and the large floating docks, for Havana and Stettin, of 10,000 tons and 11,000 tons lifting power, the former of which was successfully towed over 6,000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.

1918 Designed a floating dock of 30,000 tons capacity, in association with Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, for the Russian Admiralty. Built by the Russian Shipbuilding Co of Nicolaieff. This was the second example destined for use on the Black Sea, the first, of about 6000 tons being constructed in 1875-8 under the supervision of Lyonel Clark.[1]

1919 Ernest Hinkly Salmon became a partner

By 1947, Ernest Salmon was the sole director

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Engineering 15 Nov 1918