Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,855 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Ynysfach Ironworks

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:00, 29 April 2014 by JohnD (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Restored blowing engine house at Ynysfach. Now houses the Ynysfach Iron Heritage Centre

Ynysfach Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil

Built in 1801 for Richard Crawshay by Thomas Jones of Merthyr Tydfil, to the designs of Watkin George. The ironworks had two furnaces, which were the second in Merthyr Tydfil to have steam-powered air blast machinery. This gave the works an advantage over the nearby Cyfarthfa Ironworks, which depended on water power for the blast.

1830 Two more blast furnaces and a new southern, engine house built, and the northern engine house rebuilt

1873 Works closed during a strike

1884 The Ynysfach furnaces were reconditioned and held in reserve, following Cyfarthfa’s conversion to steel

The southern engine house was demolished some time after 1905 and one chimney stack (belonging to the northern boiler house) was demolished in 1949

One of the blowing engine houses has been restored as the Ynysfach Iron Heritage Centre, with the impressive remains of the blast furnaces alongside.

See Also


Sources of Information

  • [1]GGAT News 14th October 2011 'Excavations at the former Ynysfach Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales'