Originally built as a turbine-electric ship. Two turbine-generators, each producing 625 kW at 3600 rpm, supplied two motors which drove the single propeller through Power Plant Co reduction gearing.
The two turbines and alternators, condensers, main motors, auxiliary motors and manoeuvering gear were made by the Brush Electrical Engineering Co to the specification of the British Ljungstrom Marine Turbine Co.
1926 September. Recently converted steamship Wulsty Castle, which is now fitted with twin Beardmore-Tosi four-stroke double-acting marine oil engines, geared to the propeller shaft through Beardmore-Vulcan hydraulic clutches and single reduction gearing, ran her trials o the Skelmorlie mile.
Her machinery was built by the Vulcan Works of Hamburg under licence, and she recently made a good voyage to Dalmuir. She is a single-screw ship of 6300 tons deadweight carrying capacity, and about 3566 tons gross and is managed for the owners by James Chambers and Co of Liverpool. Her two engines are each three-cylinder units, and are designed for a total output of 1700 shaft horse-power.
The auxiliaries are both steam and oil engine driven, steam being employed for the deck machinery. The trial results of this ship with be awaited with interest.
Sources of Information
- 'The Marine Steam Turbine' by J. W. M. Southern, 6th edition, 1923
-  The Engineer, 15 May 1918
- The Engineer 1926/9/10