Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,028 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Clifton Bridge Ironworks, Brighouse, Yorkshire, maker of stationary engines, the firm also produced milling equipment for flour and oil seed.
1881 Following the death of Joseph Wood on 7 August, the partnership of Wood, Baldwin and Co was dissolved, and a new company was formed.
Franciscus Gilbertus Schippers came to Brighouse from Holland in the 1880s, and stayed with the company for 50 years, becoming Chief Mechanical Engineer in 1910 and joining the partnership. He died on 2 November 1936. He is credited with introducing the uniflow engine to Yorkshire.
1896 Woodhouse & Mitchell had their own type of release gear for the Corliss valves, designed in 1896 by one of their engineers, an American named Arthur Herschmann.
1902 the firm became Woodhouse & Mitchell Ltd.
1926 Richard Woodhouse retired, and was succeeded as Managing Director by Joseph Mitchell.
1934 Joseph Mitchell died. Company bought by John Illingworth, and re-registered as Woodhouse and Mitchell (1934) Ltd. He was a director of Widdop, Shackleton and Co who had an adjacent factory in Brighouse. They were to diversify, with products including machine tools.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
By 1951 the firm had been taken over by Thomas W. Ward of Sheffield.
1962 Merged with Frederick Town and Sons of Halifax.
c.1967 The Clifton Bridge site closed.