of Central Foundry, Plymouth
Formerly Murch and Willoughby
The Willoughby Bros shipbuilding yard was located in Plymouth, Devon. It had a 200 foot berth, an engine works and a foundry. It mainly built tugs, coasters, Saltash ferries and Blackpool excursion steamers.
1860 WM. WILLOUGHBY, Engineer, Iron and Brass Founder, Smith, &c., begs to inform the Public that he has considerably enlarged his Premises, and erected a NASMYTH STEAM HAMMER, and he is now prepared to execute any order which may be entrusted to him with Punctuality and Dispatch. FORGINGS and KNEE MOULDS made for Shipbuilders and Smiths. New and Second-hand STEAM ENGINES and BOILERS always on Sale. Sole Agent for Plymouth and neighbourhood for the sale and fixing of GIFFARD’S PATENT INJECTOR, for feeding Steam Boilers.</ref>Western Morning News 27 December 1860 p 1</ref>
1897 Novel refuse destructor was invented by S. Willoughby of Chiswick, a partner in the firm; the destructor was installed at Lewisham
It was sold to new owners at the end of the nineteenth century
1925 Messrs Willoughby of Plymouth replaced the gates on the Turf Lock of the Exeter Ship Canal.
1920s Company closed in the 1920s.
1927 Willoughby (Plymouth) Ltd. Ship Repairers, Engineers, Boilermakers, Copper and General Smiths, Iron and Brass Founders, Portable electric welding plant. Works alongside Dry Dock, 454ft.
1958 Merged with Bickle Engineering Co
1971 Willoughby (Plymouth) was still in business.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1897/09/17
- Western Mail 1 July 1927 p 14 last col.
- L. A. Ritchie, The Shipbuilding Industry: A Guide to Historical Records (1992)
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss