Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,813 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William John Dunning (1878-1939)
1939 Obituary 
"WILLIAM JOHN DUNNING was for practically the whole of his career engaged on engineering work for the Borough of Colwyn Bay.
Born at Colwyn Bay in 1878, he was educated there at Trinity House School from 1886 to 1893. He served his apprenticeship under Mr. Jones, engineer and surveyor, from 1893 to 1902, during which time he was engaged on work connected with sea defence and water supply in this borough. He then spent four years as assistant engineer on the construction of a storage reservoir and pumping station, and in 1907 he was appointed deputy engineer in charge of the water supply works.
From 1910 to 1914 he was engaged on the construction of bridges, and during the Great War he was concerned with coal supply and salvage. In 1919 he became borough engineer and surveyor, and he held this position until he died. Besides being responsible for the design of the refuse-pulverizing works, the coal-crushing plant, the pier and pavilion, and the trunk water mains and pumping plant, he also carried out many improvements to the North Wales coast road, the borough's sea defences, and the storm water drainage of the town. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1928, and he was a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. His death occurred on 20th December 1939."