Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,812 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Henry Vaughan (c1879-1941)
1942 Obituary 
WILLIAM HENRY VAUGHAN received his technical education at the Wedgewood Institute, Burslem, and at Liverpool University. After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. William Boulton, Ltd., of Burslem, he enlisted as a volunteer and served in the South African War. On his discharge he found employment as a fitter and turner in various gold and diamond mines in the Transvaal and became shop foreman at the Crown Reef Gold Mines.
In 1909 he joined the Deep Gold Mines Company, becoming successively erector, draughtsman, and foreman. In 1910 he returned to England and after a brief period as an erector to Messrs. Fawcett, engineers, of Liverpool, he was appointed assistant instructor in workshop practice at Liverpool University.
Two years later he joined Messrs. F. W. Rowlands and Company, of Seacombe, as foreman erector; and in 1915 he was appointed works manager to Messrs. Douglas and Walls, Ltd., of Liverpool. He held the laud position until 1917, when he became a supervising engineer under the Ministry of Munitions. In 1919 he was engaged as works manager by the Mossley Engineering Company, and two years later he joined Messrs. Blackwell and National Roofing, Ltd., of Altrincham, in a similar capacity. In 1925 he was appointed a representative of the firm, and in 1933 he became district manager, an appointment which he held until his death, which occurred on 13th December 1941 in his sixty-second year.
Mr. Vaughan was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1917.