Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,850 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Henderson (1854-1898)
1899 Obituary 
WILLIAM HENDERSON, son of the late James Henderson, of Glasgow, engineer and architect, was born on the 24th January, 1854.
After serving a pupilage with his father he was articled to Smith and Wharrie, engineers and surveyors, of Glasgow.
He was then engaged for five years, from 1874 until 1879, as an assistant to James Wilson, who at that time was engineer to the Water Trust of Greenock.
In November, 1879, Mr. Henderson started in practice on his own account in Glasgow, and during the seven years following he designed and carried out waterworks for Dalbeattie, Annan, Stranraer, Maybole and Kilmarnock, and drainage works for Dalbeattie. He also assisted James M. Gale and James Wilson in connection with extensions of the Loch Katrine works for the water-supply of Glasgow, waterworks for Dumfries, Aberdeen, Ayr and Girvan, and other works.
Mr. Henderson’s connection with the Colony of Victoria commenced in the year 1886, when he was engaged in making reports and estimates for irrigation projects under the instructions of the Royal Commission on Water-Supply. He was then appointed executive engineer to the Victorian Water-Supply Department, in which capacity hed esigned and superintended the construction of national irrigation works in the district of Goulburn. He was also engaged in preparing a report and estimates for a supply of water for domestic and stock purposes over about 17,000 square miles in the Mallee District. He retired from the service of the Victorian Water-Supply Department in 1895, and started to practise on his own account as a hydraulic engineer.
Mr. Henderson was an indefatigable worker, and to the unsparing energy he displayed in the performance of his duties may be attributed perhaps the early close of his career.
About the end of 1897 he was stricken with paralysis, from which he made a partial recovery, but in the following autumn a relapse took place, and he died at his brother’s residence, Bracken Lodge, Wannaene, near Dromana, on the 11th December, 1898, at the age of 44. Mr. Henderson was elected an Associate on the 5th May, 1885, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 16th November, 1896.