Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Wilfred Jackson (1880-1934)
1934 Obituary 
WILFRED JACKSON was the holder of a considerable number of patents in connexion with motor cars, chiefly relating to rocking-shaft bearings, radiators, and the ventilating and lighting of vehicles.
He was born at Wentworth, Yorks, and served a four years' apprenticeship, terminating in 1898, with Messrs. J. Davy and Company, Elsecar Foundry, after which he became an improver with Messrs. Clarke, Steavenson and Company, electrical engineers, of Tankersley, near Barnsley. He later entered the drawing office and remained with the firm until 1905, when he was appointed assistant engineer to the Lidgett Colliery Company at Tankersley. He was promoted to the position of chief engineer in 1909.
Two years later he joined the Sheffield Motor Company.
A few months after the outbreak of the War, he enlisted in the R.N.A.S., and later became chief petty officer.
In May 1917 he was released in order to take up the position of standardization officer in the mechanical warfare department, under the Ministry of Munitions. In this capacity he was responsible for securing interchangeability in all parts of tanks and for the design of jigs and the manufacture of gauges for this purpose.
In 1919 he was demobilized, and joined Messrs. Pipe Motors, Willesden, but left the firm some years later and went into business as partner and managing director of Messrs. W. Jackson and Company, Euston, London, and subsequently took out his patents in motor car design.
He held this position until the time of his death, which occurred on 2nd February 1934.
He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1919.
1934/35 Obituary 
Wilfred Jackson was born in 1880 and served his apprenticeship with J. Davy and Co., of Barnsley, and Clarke, Stevenson and Co.
He then spent five years with the Lidgett Colliery Co., of Barnsley, as Assistant and Chief Engineer, after which he was engaged as Shop Foreman with the Sheffield Simplex Motor Works, Ltd.
During the War he served in the R.N.A.S. and was subsequently appointed Standardization Officer in the Mechanical Warfare Dept.
He died on and February, 1934, at the age of 53.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1918.