Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,896 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Whyte, Thomson and Co"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
(Sources of Information)
 
Line 16: Line 16:
 
[[Category: Town - Glasgow]]
 
[[Category: Town - Glasgow]]
 
[[Category: Scientific Instruments]]
 
[[Category: Scientific Instruments]]
 +
[[Category: Ship_Components]]

Latest revision as of 20:51, 26 March 2020

Whyte, Thomson compass in T. L. Ainsley binnacle, at Tromso Polar Museum, Norway. Note delicate wire-suspended construction of compass rose

Nautical Instrument Makers and Compass Adjusters, 144, Broomielaw. Works:— Neptune Works, Harmony Row, Govan, Glasgow (1891).

Head Office: 96, Hope Street, Works: 142, North Woodside Road (1918).

1891 Originally established in Greenock by David Heron, grandfather of Mr. Whyte. Moved in 1827 to Glasgow. 'The premises in Broomielaw comprise a splendidly spacious warehouse heavily stocked with all descriptions of nautical instruments, including ships compasses in great variety, binnacles, adjusting instruments, palinuruses, verifiers, log glasses, fog horns, etc., etc. The works in Govan are admirably equipped with all the most approved appliances, plant and machinery, and every facility is afforded for the rapid and expeditious execution of all work engaged in. The firm here manufacture such items as cabin and engine-room lamps, steam pressure gauges, steam vacuum gauges, compound steam gauges, engine counters, engine indicators, lamps of all kinds, and cabin fittings of various descriptions, and everything is made from the raw material. A staff of seventy skilled mechanics is employed, including four compass adjusters constantly employed..... ' [1]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. [1] Glasgow West-end Addresses and their Occupants 1836-1915