Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Whiteley Wood Mills"

From Graces Guide
 
Line 1: Line 1:
near Sheffield
near Sheffield


Water-powered mills were established on the site in the 1760s by '''Thomas Boulsover'''. At times, these were run as separate business, at [[Whiteley Wood Forge]], and at Whiteley Wood rolling mills. The rolling mills are considered here, but more information about some of the owners and/or occupiers may be found under [[Whiteley Wood Forge]].
Water-powered mills were established on the site in the 1760s by [[Thomas Boulsover]]. At times, these were run as separate business, at [[Whiteley Wood Forge]], and at Whiteley Wood rolling mills. The rolling mills are considered here, but more information about some of the owners and/or occupiers may be found under [[Whiteley Wood Forge]].


1794 Reference to a rolling mill (water powered), the proprietors being named as Thompson & Co.  
1794 Reference to a rolling mill (water powered), the proprietors being named as Thompson & Co.  

Latest revision as of 17:37, 22 August 2012

near Sheffield

Water-powered mills were established on the site in the 1760s by Thomas Boulsover. At times, these were run as separate business, at Whiteley Wood Forge, and at Whiteley Wood rolling mills. The rolling mills are considered here, but more information about some of the owners and/or occupiers may be found under Whiteley Wood Forge.

1794 Reference to a rolling mill (water powered), the proprietors being named as Thompson & Co.

After 1804, following bankruptcy of Anthony Thompson, the owner was recorded as Mitchell Wreaks and Co, also known as Mitchell & Co, makers of saws, scythes, and edge tools

1826 Two overshot water wheels recorded, both 34' 6" dia, 4' 3.5" wide. A 10 ft head of water allowed 9 hours works per day, but in dry weather only about 22 hours per week could be worked.

1832 Works put up for sale

1855 Reported as unoccupied

The last owner before demolition was John Hutton, and the last long term occupant was Charles Ramsden (see C. Ramsden and Co. Demolition probably took place in 1875-6

An account of the site and its occupants, together with maps and several illustrations, is given in the source document for the information presented above [1]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 'Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers' edited by Christine Ball, David Crossley and Neville Flavell, 2nd Edition: South Yorkshire Industrial History Society, 2006