Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,338 pages of information and 200,884 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Watsham's Ltd, electrical contractors, of London and of Reading
Responsible for installation of high voltage transmission lines
1921 The business address of Norman D. Watsham was in Howard House, Strand, London
1922 Watshams won an order from Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Co for 2 types of crystal set and a valve receiver; the order for crystal sets was sub-contracted to Plessey Co. This was the start of Plessey’s diversification into radio and electronic manufacturing.
1924 Norman D. Watsham, engineer, and Watshams, electrical engineers, were at 33 King St
1926 Norman D. Watsham, engineer, and Watshams, electrical engineers, were at 33 King St
1928 Watshams Ltd, Victoria St, London
1930 Watshams Ltd, contractors, of Luton
1932 Engineers of 38 Arthur Street, Greenock
1959 Specialists in erecting overhead transmission lines. Had experienced some reduction in business
1960s - Contractor to the Post Office for radio towers and masts.
1965 Contractors, of Old Brick Works, Pinden End; of Lynemouth, Newcastle upon Tyne;
Watsham’s diversified and then changed direction during the 1970s and 1980s, focussing on instrument making rather than electrical engineering and related structures.
The successor company to Watsham’s Limited is Solvera PLC (via Watsham’s PLC, Optical and Medical International PLC and OMI International PLC)
c1977 Mr D S Watsham retired, age 70. The business continued to manufacture “transmission and telecommunications towers”. However the section which erected the towers had been sold to Hawker Siddeley Power Engineering.
1983 of Grosvenor St, London W1
1986 Watshams, "the specialised instrument maker", had a successful rights issue
1987 Most recent results reported in The Times
1990 Watshams Electro-Optics were located in Clwyd
The Company (then as Solvera PLC) went into administration early in 1999 and was finally dissolved in 2007 – only to be restored to the register of companies in 2013 due to a Court Order.