W. R. Dell and Son
W. R. Dell and Son, engineers and millwrights, of the Reliance Ironworks, Croydon
c.1830 William Rawbonn Dell started his career as a miller in Colchester.
Dell invented a conical wheat brush machine for cleaning wheat. He was also interested in flour dressing machinery.
1856 Started his own business as a general mill furnisher at 72 Mark Lane, London - see William R. Dell and Son.
1869 the firm of W. R. Dell & Son was formed when William Bleckly Dell was taken into partnership with his father.
1871 W. R. Dell retired
1872 W. B. Dell entered into a new partnership with John Fyfe Stewart, an engineer.
The firm was well known for the production of millstones and wheat cleaning machinery.
1873 Purchased their first engineering works, St. James’s Iron Works, Croydon.
1876 Needing larger premises the Reliance Iron Works were established.
1877 Patent to John Smith, of Carshalton, and William Bleckly Dell and John Fyfe Stewart, of the city of London, in respect of the invention of "improvements in machinery or apparatus for grinding and pulverizing 'middlings,' wheat, and other grain. 
1906 Dissolution of the Partnership between William Bleckly Dell and John Fyfe Stewart, carrying on business as General Engineers, Millwrights and Mill Furnishers, at 26, Mark-lane, London, and Reliance Iron Works, Croydon, under the style or firm of W. R. DELL AND SON
Sources of Information
- London Gazette 10 July 1877
- London Gazette 28 Dec 1906
-  Mills Archive