Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,712 pages of information and 230,103 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Ulverston Canal is a canal in the town of Ulverston, Cumbria, England. It is 1.25 miles (2 km) long and runs from the town centre to the coast of Morecambe Bay. It is entirely straight and on a single level. It is an isolated canal and does not connect to the main canal network.
The contract for the construction of the main canal was given to Pinkerton and Murray, while construction of the entrance lock was awarded to John Lancaster and James Duckworth. Work began on 23 August 1793, when the chairman cut the first sod, and was expected to be completed by September 1794. However, Pinkerton and Murray were also working on the northern end of the Lancaster Canal, and they abandoned the contract in August 1795, when they could no longer pay the wages. H. Baird took on the work, which was finished in October 1796.