Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,535 pages of information and 233,960 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Threlfall's Brewery

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 19:47, 14 October 2020 by AlanC (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Former Cook Street Brevery, Salford

Threlfall's Brewery Co Ltd of Liverpool and Salford.

1861 John Mayor Threlfall purchased the Lupton and Adamthwaite brewery.

1888 Threlfalls were registered as a Liverpool-based brewer.

c.1895, Threlfalls purchased the Blue Lion public house on Cook Street in Salford and built the Salford brewery.

Ownership of Salford Iron Works passed from Mather and Platt to Threlfall's Brewery, 'popular' neighbours in more senses than one. Many Mather & Platt employees had their own method of securing supplies of beer through a convenient hole in the wall, which separated the two buildings.

Part of the works subsequently passed to a well-known firm of motor car spring manufacturers. A few of the nineteenth century landmarks, including the weighing-in machine still survived in the 1950s.

1961 Merged with the Chesters Brewery Co and operating from the Cook Street site as Threlfalls Chester brewery.[1]

1961 Merged with the Birkenhead Brewery Co.[2]

1967 Whitbread took over the entire Threlfall's Group, including the Moorhouse Brothers soft drinks company

1999 The Salford site became surplus to requirement.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Times, June 28, 1962
  2. The Times, June 28, 1963