Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,728 pages of information and 196,442 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thames Ironworks of Blackwall was an established shipbuilder in the southeast of London.
1835 Thames Bank Ironworks at Blackwall had its origins in the business established by Thomas Joseph Ditchburn and Charles John Mare as Ditchburn and Mare for shipbuilding and civil engineering. This site had been used for shipbuilding for many centuries.
1846 Ditchburn retired; Mare extended the works to the west side of Bow Creek, as C. J. Mare and Co
1857 The firm became insolvent and was taken over by Mare's father-in-law, Peter Rolt, and renamed Thames Ironworks Co. Ltd. The yard occupied sites on both banks of the River Lea at the point where it joined the Thames, with 30 acres in West Ham and 5 acres in Blackwall.
1860 The SS Mooltan was built for Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co with engines by Humphrys, Tennant and Co. The yard built the first ironclad battleship HMS Warrior, one of the first to use the longitudinal system of construction.
After 1865 Thames Ironworks concentrated mainly on warships, for the Royal Navy and foreign governments; merchant shipping was mainly cross-channel packets, Thames river steamers, and tugs.
1866 Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co. failed.
1867 The Thames Iron Works Ship Building, Engineering, and Dry Dock Company (Limited), of Blackwall, exhibited models of ironclad frigates and steam ships at the 1867 Paris Exhibition
1868 Three five-masted ironclads were completed.
1871 Frank Clarke Hills bought a controlling interest in the Thames Ironworks.
1872 the firm became a limited liability company. It was one of the largest and most productive shipyards on the Thames.
By 1875 The company was known as Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co 
By the 1880s all the Thames shipyards were facing increasing competition from the shipyards on the Clyde and in north-east England.
1880s During the 1880s more battleships were made.
1897 Site is 28 acres and they employ 3,000-4,000 workmen
1899 The Thames Iron Works, Shipbuilding and Engineering Co was registered on 15 July, to take over the business of the Thames Iron Works and Ship Building Co, with which was amalgamated the undertaking of John Penn and Sons. 
1900s The company went on to build a number of coasters, tugs, riverboats and lighters as well as naval vessels.
1903 "Completed a twin-screw tug for the Portuguese Government of 39 tons, fitted with engines of 150 indicated horse-power; and have in hand a single· screw steamer for the War-office of 170 tons, and about fifteen lifeboats for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution."
1905 The first bus chassis was built.
1906 Produced a six-cylinder engine for buses. Also produced a four cylinder engine of 24/30 hp.
In 1910 they were concentrating on 40 hp coaches.
1913 A semi-forward-control double-decker was constructed which resembled a stagecoach without the horse. One of these is exhibited in the National Motor Museum.
May have built a few railway locomotives.
Hone's Patent Automatic Single-Chain Excavator and Elevator: The Engineer 1886/10/29 (p 353)