Page Titles and new pages
- Check that the page doesn't already exist, but under a slightly different title by using a broad search term and checking carefully. If the name doesn't exist then then you will get an option to create a new page.
- Never use the '&' (ampersand) in a page name - it will probably never be found again! There can also be problems with any character that is not one of the 26 + 10 alphanumeric characters...
- Always abbreviate 'Company' to 'Co' in page names
- Do not use 'Ltd' / 'plc' and similar in page titles as companies change their legal status during their life-time
- Body text should be short paragraphs (unbulleted) and commence with a year or full date whenever possible.
- Paragraphs are listed in date order, so list by earliest reference first.
- Where most of the page information comes from a single source then include that under the 'References' section in the page footer
Adding an image
- The house style is to use thumbnail images, aligned to the right, in chronologically order.
- Image should be compressed and set to a max width of 760 px. This speeds up the page download times.
- Assign as many suitable categories as possible referring to the All Categories list as necessary.
- All company pages should have a category 'Town - xxxx' or 'Country - xxxx'
- All person pages should have categories for 'Biography' and 'Biography - xxxx' and 'Births - #### - ####' and 'Deaths #### - ####'
- Be free to create new categories.
- For person pages, add in the default sort script the Surname first followed by Forenames, so that it will appear in the correctly in alphabetical order within it's category listings.
- For an example, please use the edit tab to view the 'hidden' script below.
- All pages need the following code at the bottom (immediately before the 'Category' tag) (Use Edit tab to see the code)
Sources of Information