Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,813 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stephen George Williams (1878-1932)
"THE LATE MR. S. G. WILLIAMS.
We regret to reoord the death of Mr. Stephen George Williams, whioh ooourred at Sanderstead, Surrey, on Saturday, March 5, at the age of 53.
Mr. Williams was horn in London on June 27, 1878, and received his early education at the Tollington-park College, after which he studied engineering at the Finsbury Technical College for two years. In 1895, he was appointed assistant engineer to the New River Company, under Mr. Joseph Francies, during which time he was engaged in the preparation of Parliamentary plans and surveys, in the design of water schemes and in the construction of reservoirs, filters, pumping stations, engine houses and other work connected with the conduct of that undertaking. In 1904, he was appointed assistant engineer to the Municipality of Singapore, having particular charge of the water department serving the area. Shortly afterwards it was decided to embark on a new water scheme, and Mr. Williams then took over the duties of resident engineer, being responsible for the survey, design and construction of all the new work, which comprised an impounding reservoir with a capacity of 850,000,000 gallons, gravitation mains, filters and service reservoirs. In 1912, on the completion of this scheme, he was appointed deputy water engineer to the municipality, and, in addition to the duties of this post, was also for a time in charge of the extension of the sewerage and sewage disposal works. In 1916, on the retirement of Mr. Robert Bruce, he became water engineer, having sole charge of the water department under the Municipal Commissioners, and in this position was again responsible for extensive enlargements to the undertaking. On his return from the East, a few years ago, he entered into partnership with Mr. Robert Pierce, and was in private practice at the time of his death.
Mr. Williams was elected an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1904, and was transferred to the class of Member in 1920."