Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,396 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1858 December. Born at Sherburn House, Durham, the second son of the Ven. Edward Prest, Archdeacon of Durham.
Educated at Durham School and Glasgow University.
He was closely associated with Charles Algernon Parsons from the beginning of the development of the Parsons steam turbine. He was a director of C. A. Parsons and Co, and in March 1931 he was elected Chairman of the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co.
He was a member of the Institution of Naval Architects, North East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders, and the Iron and Steel Institute.
He died on 11th March 1931 at Shalford Surrey, age 72.
It is with great regret that we record the death, on Saturday last, July 11th. at Shalford, Surrey, following an operation, of Mr. Stanley Faber Prest, chairman of Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company Ltd., and director of C. A. Parsons and Co., Ltd., and other companies.
It will be recalled that in March last Mr. Prest was unanimously elected the chairman of Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Ltd., to succeed the late Sir Charles A. Parsons.
Mr. Prest, who at the time of his death was 72 years of age, was born at Sherburn House, Durham, in December, 1858, and was the second son of the Venerable Edward Prest, D.D., Archdeacon of Durham.
He was educated at Durham School and at Glasgow University, and was subsequently a pupil engineer at the Newcastle works of R. and W. Hawthorn. Later, he spent some time at Armstrong's Elswick Works, and then went to Barrow-in-Furness as manager of the firm of Westray and Copeland, a position which he held for six years.
He then came to London, and from 1905 to 1920 was director and chairman of Eley Brothers, subsequently becoming a director of Nobel Industries Ltd.
He was associated with Sir Charles Parsons from the beginning of the development of the Parsons team turbine.
Mr. Prest was a member of the Institution of Naval Architects, the North-East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders, and the Iron and Steel Institute. He was also recently elected to the Court of the Worshipful Company of Shipwrights. He was a member of the Athenaeun and St. Stephens Clubs, and was well known both in London and the North-East Coast, where he had many personal and business friends.