Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,394 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

St Helen's Crown, Plate and Sheet Glass Works

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 20:24, 29 November 2016 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

St Helens Crown, Plate and Sheet Glass Works, of St. Helens

Mid-1820s, a new window glass factory was established - the St Helens Crown Glass Company. William Pilkington and his brother-in-law Peter Greenall were each invited to subscribe for a two-elevenths share of the company, along with other local people and two glass-making specialists.

End of 1827, the first glass making cone was in production.

The firm became known as Greenall and Pilkingtons. William travelled to Ireland and the main markets of Great Britain to establish new outlets for St Helens glass.

Mid-1830s Two more glasshouse cones were added.

1842 Peter Greenall withdrew from the partnership. The business later became Pilkington Brothers

1843 Letter re strength of boilers from Henry Deacon (previously of Nasmyth, Gaskell and Co, then working for Pilkington)

1854 A party from the British Association visited Messrs Pilkingtons St Helen's Crown Glass Company and the other 2 glass works in St Helens[1]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Times, Sep 30, 1854