Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,848 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
By 1854 the St. Helen's and Runcorn Gap Railway was known as the St. Helens Railway
1858 A new line was built which connected Rainford Junction, Skelmersdale Branch and the Liverpool and Bury Railway with St Helens.
It opened in 1 February 1858 and was taken over by the London and North Western Railway on 4 August 1864. Passenger services ended 5 July 1951 and freight on 6 July 1964.