Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,137 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Shutt End Railway in Kingswinford, England a pre-Victorian railway that ran coal from local collieries and bricks from a local brickworks to the canal system.
As built the Shutt End Railway was a true hybrid railway, consisting of locomotive haulage and self-acting inclines, there being no need for any fixed engines.The first train to run upon the line was hauled by the Agenoria built by Foster, Rastrick and Co.
The line was opened in 1829
It was a mineral line extending from a collieries near Kingswinford, such as Corbyn's Hall, to a basin in the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, a distance of 3.12 miles. It was opened on the 2nd June 1829 and used the Agenoria locomotive.
The Shutt End Railway later became part of a larger system known as the Pensnett Railway