Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,552 pages of information and 228,008 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway opened on 12 November 1849. It merged with the Great Western Railway - GWR in January 1 September 1854.
The company formed originally as the Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton, Dudley & Birmingham Railway in 1844, it became Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway in 1847.
When the section from Shrewsbury to Wellington, which was shared with the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, opened on 1 June 1849, the railway began to run trains to and from Oakengates.
The railway finally opened on 12 November 1849 and is still used today as the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Line.