Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,028 pages of information and 231,556 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Scott and Sons (Bowling), shipbuilders and repairers, Bowling, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Late 1840s the McGill Brothers (who had been building ships since c.1800) joined forces with James Scott to form Scott and McGill.
1851 The yard became Scott and Sons. Over the next 130 years, Scott and Sons built 450 coasters, tugs, barges, steam yachts and Clyde puffers.
1850s-1920s The yard mainly built passenger steamers and coasters for Gardner and Stewart.
1889 See 1889 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the tonnage produced
1930s The yard launched two puffers Anzac and Lascar which were the prototypes for the "VIC" war-time coasters later built by many yards around the UK.
1940s The yard also produced the prototype for the Warrior class of "Empire" tugs, 13 of which were built at the yard.
1958 The yard became a limited liability company and traded for the first time as Scott & Sons (Bowling) Ltd.
1965 The company was taken over by Scotts of Greenock.
1970s Tugs played a key role in the yard's output throughout the 50s and 60s with coasters added to the repertoire in the 70s. Trawlers and fishery protection ships were also a significant part of the yards output as it moved into the late 70s.
1977 The yard became a member of British Shipbuilders.
1979 The last two vessels (tugs) were launched form the yard whereupon it was placed on a "care and maintenance" basis.