Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,346 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Elbinger Schichau-Werft of Elbing. Elbing was in West Prussia, now Elbląg, Poland.
Established by Ferdinand Schichau.
Ferdinand Schichau also built a shipyard in Pillau near Königsberg (East Prussia) (today Baltiysk, Kaliningrad Oblast). The Borussia, constructed by him, was the first screw-vessel in Germany. He constructed another large shipyard in Danzig (Gdańsk).
Schichau gained an associate c.1873 when his daughter married Carl H. Ziese (1848 -1917). In 1874 he built the first compound steam engine for a German warship.
Schichau's name remains in the Schichau Seebeck Shipyard at Bremerhaven, Germany.
For more historical information, see Wikipedia entry for Ferdinand Schichau.
An impressive example of a sectioned 1883 triple expansion torpedo boat engine is on display at the Deutsches Museum (see photo).
A similar sectioned engine (1888 900 HP triple-expansion marine engine from the 'Weihe' torpedo boat) is on display at Vienna Technical Museum.