Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,458 pages of information and 230,061 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Royal Sovereign Pencil Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:49, 5 June 2020 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
19.
1934.
1934.
1934.
1934.
1934.
1934.
1934.

of 82 St. Thomas Street, London, SE1. (1922)

of Britannia Pencil Works, Neasden, London, NW10. Telephone: Willesden 2407-8. Cables: "Omnimodus, London". (1929)

1920 the Royal Sovereign Pencil Company was formed by amalgamation of two of the leading pencil manufacturers in England, B. S. Cohen and E. Wolff and Sons. The first managing director was Mr. Arthur Johnson

1922 Listed Exhibitor British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of the "Royal Sovereign," "Bank of England," "Spanish Graphite," "Imperial," "Alexandra," and all kinds of Blacklead, Carbon and Coloured Pencils, Crayons and Chalks. (Stand No. K.153) [1]

1926 On the death of Arthur Johnson, Mr. Percy Charnaud succeeded as managing director

1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Royal Sovereign Pencils, Bank of England, Spanish Graphite, Blacklead and Coloured Pencils, Pencils for writing on glass, china and all highly polished surfaces, Pastels, Crayons, and Penholders. (Stand No. R.26) [2]

1934 See Royal Sovereign Pencil Co: 1934 Review

1938 Patent - Improved construction of box or carton.

1940 Patent - Improvements in and relating to cases, cartons and the like.

1966 The pencil making part of the business was put into a joint venture with Staedtler of Germany. More than half of the business of the new company would be in colour crayons and drawing equipment, rapdily expanding areas[3]

c.1978 Acquired by DRG

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 1922 British Industries Fair Page 68
  2. 1929 British Industries Fair Page 146
  3. The Times May 7, 1966