Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Robert Jobson (1817-1872) of Holly Hall Iron Works, near Dudley
1841 Iron founder, lived in Kingswinford
1851 Robert Jobson 34, iron founder, employing 120 men, lived in Brierley Hill with Lillias Jobson 35, Robert L Jobson 4, Lillia E E Jobson 2, Ellen Howard E Jobson 9 Mo
1851 Elected Associate Member of Inst of Civil Engineers
1854 Patent application by John Jobson, of Litchurch Works, near Derby, Iron Founder, and Robert Jobson, of Holly Hall Works, near Dudley, for the invention of "improvements in the manufacture of moulds for casting metals."
1857 of Holly Hall, Dudley.
1861 Robert Jobson 44, engineer and mine agent, lived in Dudley with Lilias Jobson 45, Robert L Jobson 14, Lelias E E Jobson 12, Howard C Jobson 10, Arthur H Jobson 8, Edward P Jobson 6, Bertha A Jobson 2
1861 Patent to Robert Jobson, of Dudley and Cromwell Fleetwood Varley, of 4, Fortess-terrace, Kentish Town, in the county of Middlesex, have given the like notice in respect of the invention of "improvements in posts or supports for telegraph wires."
1871 Robt Jobson 54, iron founder, employing 130 (?) hands, lived in Dudley with Lillins Jobson 55, Edward P Jobson 16, and his brother in law Thomas Cochrane 53
1873 Obituary 
MR. ROBERT JOBSON was the eldest son of Robert and Janet Jobson, of Roscoe Place, Sheffield, where he was born on the 1st of April, 1817.
His first introduction to business was in the year 1833, when he was articled to the late Mr. John Joseph Bramah, of Pimlico, London, who soon after that time became engaged in large contracts for iron bridges, and other engineering works, on the London and Birmingham, the Midland Counties, and afterwards on the North Midland and Birmingham and Derby railways. Mr. Jobson was intrusted with the carrying out and general superintendence of these contracts, and he executed them so satisfactorily that he was complimented thereon by the late Mr. Robert Stephenson, Past-President Inst.C.E.
On the completion of these works Mr. Bramah transferred his business from London to the neighbourhood of Birmingham, and, having entered into partnership with Mr., afterwards Sir Charles Fox and the late Mr. John Henderson, commenced the London works at Smethwick.
About the same time Mr. Jobson entered into business upon his own account in the neighbourhood of Dudley, and executed the castings for various important works-amongst others, a largo portion of those required for the Great Exhibition building of 1851, for the Crystal Palace, for the New Street Station at Birmingham, and for various other works.
His inventions were numerous, those best known being his moulding apparatus, and that for making compressed porcelain especially adapted for telegraph insulation.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 21st of January, 1851, and he was also a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
He was a magistrate for the borough of Dudley, and also an officer of the first battalion of Worcestershire Rifle Volunteers, from the time of its formation until his death, which took place suddenly, at his residence, Cotwall End House, near Dudley, on the 1st of August, 1872.
1873 Obituary 
ROBERT JOBSON was born at Sheffield on 1st April 1817.
In 1833 he was engaged under Mr. John Joseph Bramah, of Grosvenor Works, London, and assisted in the construction of numerous station works and bridges on the London and Birmingham and the North Midland Railways, superintending entirely the erection of the work, for the satisfactory carrying out of which he received the commendation of Mr. Robert Stephenson.
About 1840 he commenced business as an ironfounder on his own account near Dudley, and carried out various important contracts for engineering works on a large scale, including a large portion of the castings for the Great Exhibition Building in 1851 and for the Crystal Palace.
He was also the inventor of some valuable improvements in mechanical engineering, those best known being his machinery for moulding, and that for making compressed porcelain telegraph insulators; of the former of these a description was given to the Institution in 1858 (see Proceedings Inst. M. E. 1858 page 14).
His death took place suddenly at his residence near Dudley on 1st August 1872, in the fifty-sixth year of his age.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1847.