Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,036 pages of information and 222,628 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Richard Lloyd and Co of 135, Steel-House Lane, Birmingham; of Galton Works, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham.
1803 Company founded.
1869 Mill and machine ironmonger (see advert)
1884 Maker of tools (see advert)
1918 Private company.
1919 Make, import and factor tools.
1922 Manufacturer of universal gauge, tool and cutter grinders.
1937 Engineers' supplies. "Galtona" Small Tools. 
1937 Company made public.
1943 Name changed.
1961 Engineers, manufacturers and suppliers of machine tool equipment including milling cutters, ground thread taps and engineers' tools. 643 employees. 
1974 Subsidiary companies were:
1985 Johnson and Firth Brown sold part of the business of Richard Lloyd and Co to Monks and Crane Holdings, and the company of Richard Lloyd and Co and its subsidiaries Tungsten Electric and Cardale (Preston) to Topazbridge.
2008 In October 2008, the 200 year old business went into administration and ceased trading. Some of the assets, such as those relating to the "Galtona" brand of threading machine taps, were acquired by T-Tech Tooling Ltd. from the receiver.
The founder of Richard Lloyd Limited was born in Birmingham 1772. Richard Lloyd was one of sixteen children born to the Quaker, Sampson Lloyd, the founder of Lloyd's Bank.
Apprenticed in one of the family's Ironworks - at the age of 31, Richard Lloyd set up his own Ironmongers business. Since the Napoleonic wars were in full swing, and Birmingham gunsmiths provided seventy percent of all Britain's arms, he had a ready market.
The name "Richard Lloyd - Ironmongers" first appeared in the Birmingham Directory, at 135 Steelhouse Lane, in 1858. Steelhouse Lane was the site of crucible steel furnaces since circa 1770.
Richard Lloyd branched out into Toolmaking in 1862 and had a well-established trade, both home and export, by 1869.
The Lloyds' sold the business to Walter Shaw in 1873, and he remained the owner until 1918. In 1896 the company launched a new line of 'Galtona' machine-belting.
A new toolmaking venture was formed with Joseph Pickard (also founded in 1803) - "Pickard and Lloyd" - in 1899, but by 1901 Shaw had bought Pickard out and reverted to Richard Lloyd. At the same time Richard Lloyd started its interest in grinding wheels, with an agreement to market the 'Carborundum' brand. This association continued until 1985.
In 1908, a Richard Lloyd subsidiary - Shaw Motor Accessories - commenced the relationship with Automotive OEM's which continued into the 21st century.
By 1914 Richard Lloyd was also engaged in the manufacture of lathes and other machine tools and in 1918 they were registered as "Tool Makers and Mill Furnishers".
World War II saw Richard Lloyd under the control of the Ministry of Supply and an enforced move to a "safer" location at Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, in order to protect the irreplaceable facilities involved in war work, and a new 100,000 sq.ft. factory was built.
Following World War II, Richard Lloyd adapted to supplying the post-war boom with "serrated blade cutters and screwing tackle".
In the mid 1950's Richard Lloyd became a subsidiary of British Rollmakers.
With the dawn of the "throw-away tip" for the cutter market, Richard Lloyd diversified and purchased Tungsten Electric Co. Ltd (TECO) in 1967. TECO supplied tungsten carbide to Richard Lloyd for finish machining.
In 1970, Richard Lloyd was purchased by Johnson and Firth Brown, a major steel-making company, and was eventually sold to a Tenbury Management Team in 1985. In 1989, the buy-out team sold Richard Lloyd to Howle Holdings.