Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,402 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Richard Andrew McLaren

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 14:46, 18 May 2015 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Richard Andrew McLaren (1864-1931)


1931 Obituary [1]

RICHARD ANDREW MCLAREN, O.B.E., was largely responsible for the growth of the Renfrew works of Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox. When he was first sent to Renfrew in 1900 as general manager the works employed about 400 men, and at the time of his retirement, in 1928, the employees numbered between 4,000 and 5,000 men.

He was apprenticed in his father's foundry and then went as an improver first to Messrs. Richard Hornsby and Sons and then to Messrs. Ashwell and Nesbitt.

He then joined the staff of Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox when the American firm first started an English office in Cannon Street, London; the late Sir James Kemnal (then Mr. Rosenthal), Mr. McLaren, and an office boy constituted the entire staff.

He left Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox to join the staff of Messrs. Bean, manufacturers of brewery supplies, but he rejoined the firm later and was sent out to their Brussels office in 1891.

In 1893 he was sent to Glasgow, and after returning to London for a short time he went finally to Renfrew. During the War two shell factories were attached to the Renfrew works, of which Mr. McLaren had entire charge.

He was born in 1864, and had been a Member of the Institution since 1899.

His death occurred on 19th February 1931.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information