Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,691 pages of information and 213,779 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Phoenix Motors

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 23:18, 5 March 2018 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
July 1903.
July 1903.
November 1903.
November 1903.
Im20130218-Phoenix.jpg
Im20120218-Phoenix1.jpg
May 1904.
May 1904.
November 1904.
November 1904.
November 1904.
December 1904.
December 1904.
June 1905.
June 1905.
July 1906.
July 1906. 2-speed gear.
1906. Trimo. Exhibit at National Motor Museum, Australia.
1906.
November 1908. 12 h.p. car.
June 1909.
November 1909.
January 1919.
January 1920.
June 1923. 12-25 hp.

of Blundell Street, Caledonian Road, King's Cross. and from 1911 at Letchworth

1900 This was one of a number of firms that bought in Belgian Minerva engines to attach to its bicycles.

1902 After the move to Caledonian Road, a forecar attachment was offered. This replaced the single front wheel by two that carried a seat between them. Removal was said to take only a few minutes. The attachment was sold as the Trimo and could be fitted to most other makes. It was therefore very popular.

1903 A Trimo was adapted to use a Singer motor-wheel in place of both its engine and the usual rear wheel. They also built a model fitted with a new 3hp Minerva engine that had a cam-operated inlet valve. The motorcycle remained the same with the engine hung from the frame.

1904 Joint MD's were J. Van Hooydonk and A. F. Ilsley

1904 The model remained unchanged but with variations of transmission available. Later in the year a ladies' version of the Trimo was added, with a drop frame and upright engine.

1905 The range of solos continued, with the option of either belt or chain drive, either with one or two speeds, plus the forecars. A solo ladies' model was also added, this with a 2hp engine fitted to an open frame.

1906 The open frame became available for general use, fitted with a 2hp or 2.75hp engine and two-speed gearing. The Trimo became more car-like in appearance.

1908 The solo, known as the Cob, had a 3.5hp Fafnir engine. Although all the Phoenix machines were well-made and widely advertised, production had always been small-scale so they were not competitive enough to remain in the trade.

1911 Around this date they moved the business to Letchworth

1912 November. Details of the new 11.9hp car with four-cylinders and three-speeds. Already have the two-cylinder models of 8-10hp and the 12.9hp models.[1]

1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices see the 1917 Red Book

1914 October. Details of the 11.9hp four-cylinder car.[2]

1919 January. Advertised a 11.9 hp car seating three abreast. J. Van Hooydonk and A. F. Ilsley are listed as Joint Managing Directors. A. E. Bowyer-Lowe was a designer

By 1928 the last Phoenix was made, and the works were probably taken over by the Ascot Motor and Manufacturing Co.

Early Registrations

List of Models

See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information

  • The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
  • The Autocar of 4th January 1919
  • [1] Alan Lupton