Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,481 pages of information and 227,936 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Iron Founders, of Wednesbury Oak furnace, Tipton
1816 Philip Williams became the sole owner of the Wednesbury Works,
Later his sons, Philip and Walter, joined as partners, and the firm became Philip Williams & Sons.
1864 On the death of Philip Williams, Walter Williams, son of Walter, and his brothers, Joseph W. Williams and P. A. Williams, took on the management of the works and collieries belonging to the firm. These included Wednesbury Oak Works, one of the largest in South Staffordshire, embracing collieries, blast-furnaces, and finished ironworks. The firm also carried on for many years works known as the Union Furnaces at West Bromwich
c.1876 Disposed of Union Furnaces to the Stour Valley Coal and Iron Co, which was subsequently dissolved. The property then reverted to the original owners, who carried it on under the style of Philip Williams & Company, until the furnaces, having become antiquated, were discontinued.
The firm also carried on manufactured iron-works, and engaged in the mining industries of Smethwick and Bilston.
1881 Phillip Williams and Sons, of Wednesbury Oak furnace, Tipton