Philip Arthur Manley Nash
Major-General Sir Philip Arthur Manley Nash (1875-1936)
1875 Born the son of the Rev. William Nash, Rector of Old Somerby
Educated at Somerfields, Oxford, and Radley College, near Oxford.
1893 Apprentice at Richard Hornsby and Sons
1897 Joined the Great Northern Railway
1899 Joined the East Indian Railway
WWI Appointed Director of National Filling Factories, Ministry of Munitions 1915-1916; Deputy Director General of Transportation, British Expeditionary Force (BEF) 1916; Director General of Transportation, British Expeditionary Force (BEF) 1917; Inspector General of Transportation, Western Front 1918-1919;
He relinquished his commission with honorary rank of Major General in 1920. He was Director General of Traffic, Ministry of Transport 1919-1922.
1936 Obituary 
Major-General Sir PHILIP ARTHUR MANLEY NASH, K.C.M.G., C.B., was born near Grantham, and in 1889 obtained a scholarship at Radley College, Oxford, where he studied mathematics.
In 1893 he became a premium apprentice in Messrs. Richard Hornsby's works at Grantham, and served for five years.
In 1902 he was promoted to be district locomotive superintendent. He was made joint secretary to the Agent, equivalent to assistant general manager, in 1911 and in the following year was appointed secretary.
He returned to England after the War broke out and in 1915 he became director of National Filling Factories under the Ministry of Munitions. In the following year he was transferred to the War Office, with the rank of brigadier-general, and was made deputy director-general of transportation, being appointed director-general in 1917. He subsequently held the position of inspector-general of transportation for the Western Front, and was thrice mentioned in dispatches. He was the recipient of many civil and military honours. He was made a C.B. in 1917, and K.C.M.G. in 1918; he also held French, Belgian, Italian, and American decorations. In 1920 he relinquished his commission with the honorary rank of major-general.
He had returned to England in the previous year, when he was appointed director-general of traffic, at the Ministry of Transport, a position which he held until 1921.
Subsequently he became associated with a large number of industrial firms and financial trusts, including cable manufacturers and cement works.
In 1934 he also became a member of the London Passenger Transport Board Arbitration Tribunal.
He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1920, and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and an Associate of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
His death occurred in London on 1st May 1936, in his sixty-first year.