Pease and Partners
of 92 Northgate, Darlington
1882 Announcement that Joseph Pease and Partners, colliery owners, and J. W. Pease and Co, ironstone and mineral quarry owners, would be amalgamated as Pease Partners Ltd; the ownership would be divided between the existing owners. The name adopted seems to have been Pease and Partners
1898 Public company registered on 11 October, to take over the collieries, ironstone mines and limestone quarries of Pease and Partners Ltd.
1914 Coal, ironstone and limestone owners.
Pease and Partners, with its paid-up share capital of £2,795,976, and its debenture capital of £984,400 has many associated firms owning blast furnaces, foundries and mills, besides collieries in Durham.
1927 Sir Arthur F. Pease was Chairman and the Lord Gainford, another son of the Sir Joseph Pease, was Vice-Chairman. The most recent investment of the firm has been the Thorne Colliery. Pease and Partners had a controlling interest in several local companies or ironworks: the Skinningrove Iron Co, with its rolling-mills; the Lackenby Iron Co; the Normanby Iron Works; the Tees Iron Works; the Tees-bridge Iron Works; the Thornaby Ironworks; the North Bitchburn Coal Co; W. Stobart and Co and T. and R. W. Bower, a South Yorkshire firm; see Aberconway for further information.
1945 Preparations were being made for the nationalization of the company's coal mines.
1953 Closure of 3 subsidiaries - Henry Stobart and Co, East Hetton Collieries and Cottages Ltd. 1954 The company only had 3 subsidiaries - the small paints company was closed; this left Tees Foundries and Deepwater Wharf Ltd; negotiations were continuing about compensation for the mines
1957 The last remaining subsidiary, Tees Foundries, was absorbed into the parent company.
1958 Output of the foundries had been lower than previous year due to reduced demand by British Transport Commission.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 14 August 1882
- Railway Heritage 
- The Times, 7 August 1903
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Times, Aug 10, 1905
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- The Times, 17 May 1923
- The Times , May 29, 1924
- The Times 30 June 1945
- London Gazette, 23 February 1951
- The Times, 20 July 1953
- The Times, 2 July 1954
- The Times, 11 August 1958
- The Times, 25 August 1958