Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,029 pages of information and 229,415 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1910 Den Norske-Amerikalinje (The Norwegian America Line) was founded.
1911 Two 11,000 ton passenger ships were ordered from Cammell, Laird and Co and were delivered in 1913 as Kristianiafjord and Bergansfjord, establishing the company’s naming policy.
WWI As Norway was neutral, the ships operated westbound at near capacity because of returning Americans in the early years of the war.
After WW1 the company continued with its two passenger ships but rapidly expanded its cargo fleet
By 1923 Had 19 ships.
1936 The company diversified into cruises.
1949 A replacement Oslofjord was built in Holland.
1956 Bergansfjord (18,739 grt) was built by Swan Hunter.
1963 Stavagerfjord was withdrawn.
1965 Sagafjord (24,002 grt) was delivered from France.
Late 1960s Transatlantic services declined
1973 The company’s final liner, Vistafjord (24,292 grt), was delivered by Swan Hunter.
Towards the end of the 1970s the Line disposed of its cargo liners
During the 1980s it began to invest in car carriers.
1980 the 2 remaining cruise ships were transferred into Norwegian American Cruise Line
1981 The company was sold to Leif Hoegh, who sold it on to Cunard Line in 1984.