Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,471 pages of information and 221,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
North Eastern Marine Engineering Co of South Docks, Sunderland and Wallsend-on-Tyne
1865 Company established at Sunderland Engine Works
1870 Spencer moved to London
William Allan persuaded the directors to trust him in the direction of the works; he successfully turned around the business and then transferred the works to Wallsend.
At some point J. Jamieson introduced a cost-book system which he had also used in other places, something which was a key feature in enabling William Allan to keep costs under control and make the works profitable.
1882 The Northumberland Engine Works and Forge of this company were established at Wallsend.
1887 William Allan left the company
1899 Fourth largest British manufacturer of engines for ships at 55,800ihp at Wallsend; the separate Sunderland yard produced 27575ihp
1899 See 1899 Shipbuilding Statistics for details of production this year.
1914 Marine Engineers and Boilermakers. Specialities: Marine Engines and Marine Boilers. Employees 3,000 to 4,000. 
1914 Directory: Listed as Boiler Makers. 
1920 Issued booklet 'The Application of Superheated Steam to Marine Engines'. Of Wallsend and Sunderland. Contains descriptions of their marine engines, turbines, marine oil engines, boilers, condensers, feed and ballast pumps, evaporators, feed-water cleaners and heaters, circulating pumps etc. 
1922 Products included reciprocating and turbine engines and boilers, "N.E." superheaters, "N.E. Werkspoor " marine oil engines, auxiliary machinery.
1924 Advert as designers, builders and repairers of reciprocating and turbine engines and boilers for all classes of vessels and a lot more. Of Wallsend-on-Tyne and Sunderland. 
1954 Name changed.
1961 Marine and general engineers, ironfounders, producing marine engines and boilers. 1,600 employees. 
Later George Clark and N. E. M. Ltd
A series of tours of the Works were provided in 1880 and published in The Engineer. They can be read by following the links below;