Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,033 pages of information and 227,610 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Murdoch, Aitken and Co"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
[[image:Im1839Enc-p538.jpg|thumb|1839: a locomotive made for the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]]
+
[[image:Im1839Enc-p538.jpg|thumb|A locomotive made for the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]]
 
[[Image:06-68-22.jpg|thumb| 1851. Beam Blowing Engine - [[Lilleshall Co]]]]
 
[[Image:06-68-22.jpg|thumb| 1851. Beam Blowing Engine - [[Lilleshall Co]]]]
 
[[Image:06-68-20.jpg|thumb| 1851. Beam Blowing Engine]]
 
[[Image:06-68-20.jpg|thumb| 1851. Beam Blowing Engine]]

Revision as of 19:45, 30 June 2020

A locomotive made for the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
1851. Beam Blowing Engine - Lilleshall Co
1851. Beam Blowing Engine
1852.

Murdoch, Aitken and Co of Hill Street Foundry, Glasgow were manufacturers of marine, high-pressure and stationary engines, pumps and machine tools

1831 Built one locomotive for the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway followed by another the following year; these were simple Killingworth type engines, with plain guides for the piston-rods, to the designs of Mr. Isaac Dodds. These were the first locomotives built in Scotland. The wheels had a lateral play of about 1in to allow for the sharp curves on the line, and the coupling rods worked on spherical pins to provide for this lateral motion.[1]

c.1837 Built 2 locomotive for the Paisley and Renfrew Railway

1845 Made a large blowing engine for Coltness Iron Co[2]

1852 High pressure blowing engine

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1925/01/09
  2. Stirling Observer - Thursday 16 January 1845
  • British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
  • The Imperial Journal 1852 Volume II. p462