1827 Constructed by George Leather, crossing the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and the River Aire. It consisted of a suspension arch over the river, an elliptical arch over the canal and two land arches over the footpaths.
By the 1880s the bridge could no longer cope with the increasing volume of traffic and a new bridge was built by the Leeds Corporation. This was designed by Thomas Hewson, the Borough Engineer, and was of cast iron lattice girder construction, with a span of 109ft. Rows of cast iron owls lined the parapet, and the Leeds coat of arms was carved on the stone pillars either side of the bridge. The bridge over the canal was also replaced with a cast iron structure, with the Leeds coat of arms cast into the ironwork.
Sources of Information
- Discovering Leeds 
- The land we live in, a pictorial and literary sketch-book of the British empire, published by Charles Knight, London, 1847