Mirrlees and Tait
See Mirrlees for the history.
1858 When William Tait became a partner in McOnie and Mirrlees, the name of the firm was changed to Mirrlees and Tait. The company remained under this title and direction for ten years. During this period the firm acquired from David McColley Weston of Boston, USA, sole rights for his inventions (the Weston centrifugal of 1868) in the United Kingdom and the principal cane sugar countries of the world .
1870 William Tait died but the title of the firm remained unchanged until 1882.
1883 The Weston inventions increased development in the firm to such an extent that in 1883 the partners, with Mr John Laidlaw as Managing Director, built a new works and formed a new, separate company Watson, Laidlaw and Co to manufacture centrifugal separators. This continued in operation until at least 1961.
1885 Mr. A. Robertson and J. C. Hudson, who had been for some time in the management of the business, were admitted as partners and the title of the firm changed to Mirrlees Watson Co.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 11 November 1908