Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,370 pages of information and 230,032 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Flax spinners of Keighley, of Leeds and Shrewsbury and elsewhere.
Company established by John Marshall
1788 John Marshall went into partnership with Samuel Fenton, a Unitarian draper, and Ralph Dearlove, a linen merchant; they leased Scotland Mill at Adel, near Leeds and Marshall, Fenton and Co began spinning flax yarns
1790 Marshall bought the freehold of an acre of land on Water Lane in Holbeck near Leeds. This was an ideal location for a mill because of its proximity to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and the Aire and Calder Navigation.
Between 1791 and 1792, he constructed Marshall's Mill, Leeds
By 1795, the Benyons had a controlling interest, and built Ditherington Flax Mill at Shrewsbury for making thread.
1804 Marshall had grown dissatisfied with his minority holding; he bought out the other two partners. He appointed two men from the works as junior partners, John Hives and William Hutton, who were later joined by a third, Moses Atkinson.
Did the Shrewsbury branch become Marshall, Hutton and Co?
1866 '... at Holbeck are the largest flax mills in Europe, belonging to Messrs. Marshall and Co., who employ upwards of 2,500 hands, and have one room covering two acres of ground.'
1876 Members of the Iron and Steel Institute visited their flax manufactory 
1886 Business closed