1904. Four Coupled Passenger Engine.
September 1925. A converted Fordson
1926. Garratt Locomotive.
1926. "Mikado" Type Locomotive.
1927.Bucket Dredger Telford
1927. Three cylinder locomotive.
1930. Sentinel-Cammell railcar "Phenomena"
1930. Three Cylinder Tank Engine. L.N.E.R.2900.
1931. The Yarrow-Gresley High Pressure Locomotive No. 10,000.
1931. The Yarrow - Gresley High Pressure Locomotive No.10,000.
1931. Tank Engine Before and After Conversion.
May 1935. GWR, LNER, LMS & SR.
1936. High-speed streamlined engine. "Silver Link".
1941. V4 class locomotive, Bantam Cock.
1941. Electric locomotive, 6701.
1942. O2 type engine with reconditioned Q4 tender.
1942. Engine number 5058. Q4 type engine converted into shunting tank.
1942. Q4 type before conversion. Engine number 5059.
1942. Desks at traffic control office.
1942. Repair of tunnel portal at Park Junction.
1943. Locomotive as Originally Built and as converted.
1944. 4-6-0 Mixed Traffic Locomotive.
1944. Reconstructed "Pacific".
1945. Brunthill Signal Box
1945. Great Northern and rebuilt Locomotive - Dwight D. Eisenhower.
1946. Engine No. 4838 in Pre-War Livery.
1947. Diamond Jubilee, Black Prince Class.
1953. "The Cock o' the North".
The London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) was created by the Railways Act 1921 from a number of Constituent Companies and came in to force on the 1st January 1923.
The LNER was the second-largest of the "Big Four" railway companies created by the Grouping Act.
1948 The LNER became part of the nationalised British Railways; parts of the company became the new Eastern Region, North Eastern Region and part of the Scottish Region.
The following made up the London and North Eastern Railway as a result of the Railways Act 1921 and came into force on the 1st January 1923:
Total Mileage of the constituent companies was 6,671.75 miles
The LNER also owned:
- 7,700 locomotives; 20,000 coaching vehicles; 29,700 freight vehicles; 140 pieces of electric rolling stock and six electric locomotives; and 10 rail motor cars
- six turbine and 36 other steamers; a number of river boats and lake steamers, etc
- docks and harbours in 20 locations, including the North East coast ports, some eastern Scottish ports, Harwich and London
- wharves, staithes, piers in similar places
- 23 hotels
- In partnership with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS), the LNER was co-owner of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, the UK's biggest joint railway system, much of which competed with the LNER's own lines. The M&GNJR was wholly incorporated into the LNER system in 1936.
Chief Mechanical Engineers
- Ralph Wedgwood was the Chief Officer of the LNER for 16 years from its inauguration in 1923.
1926 Started to build a second jetty at Hull to import oil
1930 With the passing of the Railway Companies Road Transport Acts, it became clear that the bus companies could face stiff competition so the management of the National Omnibus and Transport Co led the way in negotiating with the main railway companies, forming 3 joint companies, the last of which was the Eastern National Omnibus Co formed with the London and North Eastern Railway and the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
1938 LNER ordered electric trains for the Liverpool Street-Shenfield route. 92 sets were built with control equipment by the English Electric Co and Crompton Parkinson traction motors. Another 8 sets were built for the Manchester to Glossop line using GEC electrical equipment and traction motors. Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Co built the driving trailers, and Metropolitan-Cammell built all of the other carriages..
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Times Feb. 3, 1926
- ↑ The Times, Apr 16, 1930
- ↑ LNER info