Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,380 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Traditionally ships had docked at wharves on the River Thames, but by the start of the 19th century, more capacity was needed. Also see Port of London.
1799-1815 The London Docks were constructed in Wapping downstream of the City of London at a cost exceeding £5.5 million. They were the closest docks to the City of London, until St. Katharine's Dock was built two decades later.
1805 The London Dock itself was opened.
1826 Henry Robinson Palmer was appointed resident engineer. Over the next nine years, he designed and executed the Eastern Dock, with the associated warehousing, entrance locks, bridges, and other works.
The London Docks occupied a total area of about 30 acres, consisting of Western and Eastern docks linked by the short Tobacco Dock. The Western Dock was connected to the Thames by Hermitage Basin to the south west and Wapping Basin to the south. The Eastern Dock connected to the Thames via the Shadwell Basin to the east.
The docks specialised in high-value luxury commodities such as ivory, spices, coffee and cocoa as well as wine and wool, for which elegant warehouses and wine cellars were constructed.