Leyland and Birmingham Rubber Co
of Golden Hill Lane, Leyland, Lancashire.
1898 Amalgamated with the Birmingham India Rubber Co and Stanley Morrison and Co and registered under the present name. The company was registered on 18 May, to take over the businesses of the Leyland Rubber Co, Stanley Morrison and Co of London, and the Birmingham India Rubber Co. Other concerns have since been absorbed. 
1900 J. E. Baxter, the chairman of the board of directors, set up another company next door in Tuer Street - J. E. Baxter and Co. He then ran the two firms until he was forced out of the Leyland and Birmingham in 1909.
1913 Following a major fire at the works, the rebuilding of the three-storey frontage to Golden Hill Lane enabled the company to reach new heights.
1914 India Rubber Manufacturers and Waterproofers. Specialities: motor and cycle tyres, rubber surgical goods, hose, belting, packings, tiling, heel pads and all mechanical goods. Employees 1,000. 
1937 Rubber manufacturers. 
WWII Manufactured gas masks and a vast array of other items for the war effort.
1962 Following the take-over of J.E. Baxter & Co by BTR, a friendly merger of BTR with Leyland and Birmingham took place in 1969. The company continued to operate as a separate company within the BTR Group until it closed in the summer of 2002.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
-  Golden Hill Lane