Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,489 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lawley Group, china manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers of china and glass, of London and Stoke-on-Trent
1908 The first Lawley retail business was opened in Birmingham.
1939 By this time, retail branches had been established in many of the larger towns.
1940 Lawleys started acquiring potteries.
1948 The Lawley Group was incorporated to amalgamate Lawleys Ltd, a public company, with T. H. Lawley Investment Co and Lawley Hotel Supplies Ltd, both private companies. Lawleys Ltd owned 7 potteries and 3 other subsidiaries. T. H. Lawley Investment Co owned 3 potteries and 3 other subsidiaries. The potteries were:
1951 Lawleys had acquired controlling interest in Sterling Pottery Co; rebuilding of Gainsborough China Works and North Staffordshire Pottery had been undertaken for modernization; the export business was conducted under the Ridgways and Adderleys names.
1964 the Lawley Group took over Thomas C. Wild and Sons Ltd; Lawley rights issue; change of name to Allied English Potteries (AEP). Subsidiaries included Shore and Coggins, Chapmans (Longton), Paragon China Co, Alcock, Lindley and Bloore.