Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,515 pages of information and 217,104 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lancefield Foundry, of Glasgow
1821/2 David Napier's engineering business increased so much that he constructed new, more spacious works at Lancefield on the banks of the Clyde.
David Tod and John McGregor moved with David Napier from Camlachie Foundry to Lancefield Foundry. About 1833 they decided to go into business on their own account; Napier offered them his Lancefield works but they declined, preferring to start with a smaller enterprise.
1836 David Napier moved to London. His cousin, Robert Napier, then leased, and ultimately purchased, Lancefield Foundry in 1841. This gave him space to expand his engine works, including building the Lancefield Dock.
Ultimately Robert Napier sold the dock to the Clyde Trustees and it was then wholly removed in order to widen the harbour and improve the line of quay.