Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Kent Oil Refinery, Isle of Grain.
1928 A fuel depot with an attached port was established.
1953 the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company developed a large oil refinery, Kent Oil Refinery, in the south of the Isle of Grain. Over ten million tons of crude oil were processed annually.
This led to the establishment of the oil-fired power station at Grain and dual-fuel-capable power station at Kingsnorth. In practice, Kingsnorth used coal.
1982 The refinery was closed by BP on 27 August.
The site was taken over by British Gas plc, which used a small part of the site for the storage of liquefied natural gas.